Teachers & Writers Collaborative has recently announced two new fellowships for writers, the T & W Fellowships and the Ellen Levine Fund fellowship.
1) Teachers & Writers Collaborative (T&W) announces the 2009–2010 T&W Fellowships, awarded to support early-career development for two emerging writers. The 2009–2010 Fellowships are made possible by the generous support of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, following initial support from the Edward and Sally Van Lier Fund in the New York Community Trust.
Applicants for T&W Fellowships must:
- Be age 35 or younger at the beginning of the Fellowship period
- Live in New York City or be able to plan an extended stay in the area (T&W cannot assist with finding housing for individuals who do not currently live in New York.)
- Show exceptional artistic promise and a commitment to a writing career
- Demonstrate financial need
The 2009–2010 T&W Fellowship period is September 14, 2009, to June 18, 2010. During that time, T&W Fellows will receive:
- A $20,000 stipend and the opportunity to apply for an additional small stipend to support research or travel
- Office space and resources (e.g., computer, supplies) at T&W
- Opportunities to meet with experienced professionals from publishing, literary arts, theater, or other fields related to the Fellow’s work
- Exposure to all aspects of T&W’s work, including writing residencies, publications, and the 2020 Visions reading series
As part of their fellowships, the 2008–2009 T&W Fellows are participating in a pilot two-week residency program at the Pocantico Conference Center of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund. The opportunity to spend time at Pocantico may be made available to the 2009–2010 Fellows. Visit the Teachers & Writers site for complete guidelines.
2) Later this year, the New York Community Trust will make the second annual award of at least $7,500 to a writer working on a second or third book of fiction or creative, literary nonfiction, who doesn’t yet have a publishing contract for the work. This award is supported by the Ellen Levine Fund for Writers.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative will again serve as a nominator for the award this year. The 2008 award went to a writer whose work T&W submitted: Gabriel Brownstein for his novel in progress titled I Was Here but I Disappeared.
Submissions to be considered for nomination by T&W should include contact information for the author (mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number(s)), an outline of the book, and 50-75 pages of the manuscript. Submissions should be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Teachers & Writers Collaborative
520 Eighth Ave., Ste. 2020
New York, NY 10018
Submissions will not be accepted via e-mail or fax.
The deadline for submitting work to T&W is 5:00 PM (Eastern), Friday, May 15, 2009. T&W will review submissions and select one or two as nominees for the award. The winner of the 2009 award will be notified by the New York Community Trust in late summer/early fall.
Please send questions regarding the 2009 award to aswauger at twc.org, or call 212-691-6590.